Wednesday 6 August 2008

Google Street View in Sheffield - Staring right back


So I was off to fetch a coffee last week, taking a brief break from CSS code and single monitor misery, when I nearly became the latest casualty of Google Street View.

Stepping into the road with half an eye out for speeding busses, I stumbled in front of a black Astra with a tiny Google logo down the side. Amazingly my caffinee starved brain recognised it: A Google Street View car.

As a tram cruised past I had the perfect chance to photograph the stationary vehicle, with a smile to the bemused driver. Then it drove off, snapping in all directions as it went.

The car drew a few glances from others thanks to the camera tower strapped to the roof, but how many passers-by knew they were being quietly photographed going about their daily business?

And while I was stood there on the street corner, Googling Google's recent Street View activity on my phone, the car came past again. So I took another picture, and it took another picture of me.

It's easy to understand the secracy in which Google gather their photos. With fifteen minutes notice I could have printed a poster or arranged an amusing scene with my friends. Internet fame would have surely followed. Instead I'll be just another blurred shape with a camera phone out. And I expect to see lots of them showing up when they launch the UK service.

Marketing men would love to get their brands onto Street View. When it was revealled that Google planes were flying over Australia taking photos for Google Earth, farms and rooftops around Melbourn were covered in giant adverts.

Incidentally, the picture on the story is from PA, not mine: Their shot is just better for revealing the unique profile of the Street View car. My shot sits above this post.

No comments: